Saturday, April 26, 2008

Well written

Canadian author Alice Munroe is one of my favourite authors and an inspirational force in my art work. When I was preparing to come to Iceland, I read he novel The View from Castle Rock, which unlike many of her short stories, is semi-autobiographical and is a full length novel. It describes the movement of her family from Scotland to Canada and part of this book describes her journey back to the area that her ancestors were from. I've been revisiting the book while here and found a passage I resonated with many of the feelings I have experienced in Iceland.
Here is it:

I was struck with a feeling familiar, I suppose, to many people whose long history goes back to a country far away from the place where they grew up. I was a naive North American, in spite of my stored knowledge. Past and present lumped together here made a reality that was commonplace and yet disturbing beyond anything I had imagined.

No comments: