Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Tussocks


The first few days I was here I was constantly intrigued by the difference in the landscape. One of the things I found interesting were these formations in the grass. I took about a whole roll of them! Yesterday, I came across a catalogue called "Sculpture/Sculpture/Sculpture" that had taken place in Iceland during 1994. There was a great sculptural/installation piece titled "Mounds" that dealt with these very same formations! The artist's name is Finna Steinsson and here is what she wrote about the tussocks:

Icelanders have had a very close relationship with tussocks for centuries. They are associated with industry, poetry and folklore. Folktales describe "money tussocks" which conceal treasure troves full of silver. Hidden people often showed humans the way to these tussocks, which generally boded good fortune....

In recent times, the tussock has been on the defensive, not only in rural areas where marshes and moors have given way to mechanized cultivated land, but also in the cities where new residential quarters are planned and flat pavements are laid. 

Right up until the middle of this century country people retained the swaying gait cultivated by walking among tussocks, even if they had lived for years in foreign cities. Today, there are fears that city dwellers no longer know how to walk on bumpy land. that speaks volumes about the status of the tussock and demographic development of Iceland.

I haven't done any additional research into the history of the tussock but I liked the reference to the way people walk among them. After traipsing about talking pictures in the mounds I know what she is talking about! I still find them really bizarre.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like this photo, and the sentiments too. I like the idea of people being that connected to the landscape that it is tied to their very body. It's nice that the people there are still connected enough to be aware of the changes due to agriculture and urbanization.

-Heather

Sarah Fuller said...

Yah- I like the sentiments too. When I found the sculpture in the book I had an "A-ha!" type of moment. I think I will scan the picture of the sculpture so I have it for reference. It kind of also makes me think of tree planting and how you get used to walking down logs and have an amazing sense of balance built up over the season. It also makes me think of the concept of "sea legs". All in all a neat way to look at the landscape I think.