Sunday, April 20, 2008

I'll always be a Dreamin' Man, I don't have to understand

Okay folks, listening to a lot of Neil Young these days and today in particular as I worked on a sculpture piece for my dream images. Therefore: the Neil Young reference in the title. Wanted to think of a title slightly more interesting than "Some More Dreams." I would have replaced 'man' with ' gal' but that doesn't rhyme with ' understand'.
 
Had "Everybody Knows this is Nowhere" on repeat for awhile today. Good tunes and good words: "Got to get away from this day to day running around, everybody knows this is nowhere.." I guess I have kind of gotten away in a sense. Less than two weeks left and I can hardly believe it :( How will I integrate back into society, waking up before 9:30am , and going to the office each day? I have a feeling it could be a rude awakening...

Finally got a taste of the Reykjavik night life on Friday. Attempted to see the fine arts graduates' fashion show but arrived after it ended. Our group proceeded to try and find the other opening that was happening but were unsuccessful and so ended up at the cheap watering hole beside the SIM house called "Belly's". Self proclaimed as "the cheapest drinks in town" and "Happy hour from open until close." Not the 'upper crust' type of establishment but a reasonably priced beer (450 kr) in an expensive town (typically 700kr per beer which is about $9 CDN). We quickly transitioned to a place called "Organ" to listen to live music and dance until the wee hours. Rounded off the night listening to the Pixies and playing a raucous game of spoons back at the apartment. Pancakes at noon the following day and life was good. Saturday was the opening for the Art Graduates year end show at the Reykjavik Art museum so our artist gang checked that out along with an opening at the i8 gallery in downtown Reykjavik. A few pastries and coffee rounded off this leisurely Saturday afternoon and I still managed to make a bit of progress on my artwork despite being a bit tired... :)

Today I constructed the rest of my sculpture and even made a light socket for the light bulb that will go inside the piece- very proud of myself!! My electrician sensai (Joe) back in Banff would be proud as I did the wiring with the Euro plug! Doing the maintenance on the Mole Richardson lights in the lighting studio paid off in more ways than one I guess. I love building things and have been really happy to have the opportunity to muck around in this way. I think the benefit of not having a 4"x5" enlarger or colour darkroom is that is forces me to think outside of the photo box that I have been essentially living in for the past few years. Reconnects me with the drawing and building sides of my practice which were in essence edited out when I had to choose 'photo' as a major. Feels good to do! Progress and practice= good times~

Here's the dreams from April 11-14...

No comments: