Saturday, April 12, 2008

12 Tonar and other cultural experiences on a Saturday

Spent the day wandering about, determined to take in some of the cultural aspects in Reykjavik and also give myself a break from the studio. Started out the day at 12 Tonar on Skolavordustig. (www.12tonar.is) This is a great place to go and listen to music. I asked the man at the desk to suggest some Icelandic music and he set me up with 8 cds, a cd player and a cup of espresso. I then spent about an hour hanging out and listening to tunes before buying one called Mugison.

I then walked down to Gallery Agust which featured an artist I had met the second day after I arrived in Reykjavik. If there is one thing for certain- I keep running into people that I have met, especially within the arts circuit. The work on display was photos and video. I thought the video was particularly interesting even though it was simply a video of cigarette smoke. The show is called Vima/ Intoxication and is inspired by the effects of red wine..The artist's name is Sara Bjornsdottir.

Next, I decided to check out an artist's studio event at Skipholt 33b. The artists there were very friendly and the atmosphere reminded me of the sculpture barn at U of M! It almost felt like an open studios day there. Some beautiful paintings and drawings.
I had planned on visiting the hardware store but some how a large part of my day evaporated while I was at the music store.

Big new of the last 24 hours- I tried the rotted shark dish! (Hakarl) Not bad and I didn't even have brennivin as a follow up! My Icelandic cousins graciously offered me many things to try including harfiskur, sheep's head and hangikjot! We then had a delicious lamb for dinner and for dessert we had ponnukukur with sugar, whipped cream and jam. Very tasty!! I am now a true Icelander- yow! Ha. I felt very adventurous eating the shark I must say.

Any-y-ways. More adventures to come no doubt.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hi Sarah,
Your experience sounds AMAZING!!!!
glad to hear that you just get to chill and make art and connect with the past of your families life.
Miss you in the mountains!
Nicola

Unknown said...

Hi Dudey,

Rotted shark? Wow you are brave! Love the photos, so cool to see you in your poncho. Dream photos are neat, I kept thinking of the headless horseman hovering over you, wooooo, hope you weren't having bad dreams. Hey Pete turned 11, he sends his love.
Hugs, T

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah!

Thanks for keeping an excellent blog. I check it every morning before heading to work. The photos are excellent. The landscapes make me feel tiny but as though I could take in an enormous breath of air.

You're great!
Lisa