Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Mount Esja adventure

Tuesday morning my friend Caoimhe and I decided to hike Mount Esja- a peak visible across the harbour and easily accessible by the transit bus. So great to get outside and do some hiking. I think I've been missing the natural surroundings of Banff during my stay in downtown Reyjavik. It's also much different hiking through country as opposed to driving through it. By no means epic, the hike was a nice rambling sort of trail which ended with a trudge through spring snow.  It's interesting because I am used to the mountains that get steeper and steeper until you hit some sort of ridge and/or the top of the mountain. This is not the case with Mount Esja (which I think isn't really a mountain so much as a range). When you finally hit the top of what looks to be a ridge there is a wide open plateau that stretches on for quite some time. We didn't walk to the end of it but made for a marker of rocks- a suitable place to eat lunch protected from the wind. I did my customary headstand and we were soon trudging back down the mountain. It was at this point we both sort of stopped to comment on what a great day it had been, getting up high above the ocean and having a different perspective on the land below. Pretty nice really. Good to remember those days I think!
Picture of head stand forthcoming..

No comments: