Monday, May 18, 2009

The Lake





Revisiting some older photographs again. This time they are of 'the lake' - the family cottage I have been visiting since I was a baby. I've been thinking about these photos for awhile now and I think there is something there. I'm imagining everyone in the family is down there right now, most likely playing cards or reading, with the wood stove burning. May Long Weekend is traditionally the weekend to open up the cottage but also is usually cold and this year, I wouldn't be surprised if there is still snow or ice hidden in the forest. I've been photographing the place more deliberately for about 8 years and my concern is, as always, the feel of the place. In this case, the 'place' is one of the most familiar environments that I have known. There are a whole set of memories and lifetimes evident for me in the details of the architecture and the natural environment- it's akin to the oldest, most comfortable slippers someone could own. It's probably also a huge influence on why I've chosen to live in a national park with pine trees in the front yard.

No comments: