Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Debrief...

Just finished the first two days in the lab with some successes and some surprises. Day one (or night one) I did my first real test with the camera and flash set up which was pretty interesting.  It's possible to track the moment my brain waves indicate that I am falling asleep and so at this point, the camera is triggered and the flash is fired. Now, here's the part I wasn't prepared for= it scared THE CRAP out of me. It woke me up which I suppose was good, but..yeesh. Phrases that come to mind are "Scared the living daylights" or the phrase I thought of all day yesterday which was, "It scared the Be'Jesus outta me!" Seriously. Those strobes almost blasted me into another dimension. I have not been so instantaneously alarmed in, well, I don't know if I ever have. It was a bit hard falling asleep after that as I had a major adrenaline rush. I did remember what I was dreaming though so that was good. I have to muck about with the system a bit because I want to try it again (something I wasn't so convinced of yesterday- it took awhile for the memory of that experience to fade), but I think it's worth  it even if it ends up being only a few pictures. Last night, being awakened by sound effects was a piece of cake in comparison and I slept like a baby. Today I'm feeling much better and not half as anxious as yesterday where I repeatedly had visions of the strobes surprising me throughout the day. Today- yoga, laundry and applications for exhibitions.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad it's you and not me. I think you are definitely sacrificing yourself for your art!

Sarah Fuller said...

Well, I'm hoping the next time won't be so jarring. The residual feelings about that night have already faded.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the brain-activated trip system worked out. Looking forward to seeing this image. btw, I really like the Ford's drive-in. Enjoy the extended Montreal summer.